Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band "Ringo at the Ryman" DVD

 

(Universal, 2013) I love Ringo and I like the idea of the All Starr Band (where he gathers members of Classic Rock-era bands and has them do their hits between his Beatles bangers). This DVD is great in the sense that the Ryman is gorgeous and the band is powerful. But the best thing about this video is that it saves me the money of ever buying a ticket to see the All Starrs, as this is both wonderful and super boring. The only other artist here I would have paid to see is Todd Rundgren, but even though it's fun when he's banging on his drum all day here, it's not worth the price of admission. Joe Walsh stops by with his talkbox, which is also kinda cool. I certainly don't care about the guy from Mister Mister, but it was a little interesting I guess how his voice sounds just like the records, but not that interesting, as I never listen to these records. Not the case with Greg Rolie, and hearing the voice and keys of Santana singing and playing is definitely something. But not SOMETHING. Ringo is charming, funny, plays fine, and sings with a relaxed kind of joy that is a pleasure, and of course, he had the most bubbly Beatles tracks and a few fun solo hits to choose from, so this is fine. But nothing worth driving to Ravinia for.

No comments:

Post a Comment