Thursday, December 6, 2012

Unsinkable: How to Build Plywood Pontoons & Longtail Boat Motors Out of Scrap by Robnoxious


(Microcosm) This how to/travelogue opens with the statement that there is a history of punks “building shanty boats and going down rivers in the Mississippi basin.” I was a little skeptical of that…most of the punks I know are too lazy to shanty down the Mighty Missip, and if this was a straight forward construction manual I would remain skeptical. But by including a dirty punked out Mark Twain adventure narrative I totally believe this is a thing. Also, unlike the punk manuals for bike repair, vegan cooking, and survalism, this is one that I am thoroughly convinced I couldn’t do even with this book. Sure, I could make a garbage pontoon, but I wouldn’t trust my motor in a bathtub. Which makes the diary element all the more important, because this book wan’t how-to me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment