Thursday, January 23, 2014

Dexateens "Sunsphere"

(Cornelius Chapel) This is the reason that I don't like to go to the bathroom in the middle of a movie...you miss something in the middle and you don't know what the hell is going on. Although I know the Dexateens made a record called "Singlewide" which is supposed to be a slick, mature slab that's often compared to Drive By Truckers (thus fully Austin City Limits approvable), the only record I have by them is from ten years ago on Estrus, and if this is the same band I'm pleasantly confused. While this EP ends with a nice spooky slice of trashy garage ("Do the Crawl"), and opens with a title track that's a groovy, hillbilly Stooges stomper, in between they get Byrds-y, folksy, Jack White-y, reflective, sensitive, and do some bluegrass/C&W historical society-stuff. The trashy southern rock of their early record is still here, but stuffed with some stuffing I would never have expected from that band. So I obviously missed a bunch of interesting stuff in between...maybe I should have just stayed put and peed myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment