Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Not to Be Caught Short: 5 Years of Outta Print & Unreleased sHITS from Magnetic South


(Magnetic South) Pardon me if you’ve heard this rant from me already, but a few years back I almost sprained my arm patting myself on the back for getting the perfect amount of proper sized storage boxes, alphabetizing, and neating shelving what I was sure was my now finite collection of cassette tapes. Then the hipster cassette revolution happened, which wouldn’t have been such a bad thing if so many of the tapes weren’t SO GOOD. I had to keep album-length tapes of unreleased or fresh material from brilliant noise, garage, and punk bands, hadn’t I? Now teetering stacks of unboxed tapes mock my neat row of boxes, and to make matters more ridiculous, I actually have to have a favorite new school cassette label?!? And by “have to” I mean that if a label releases a sitar Banana Splits tribute, bands as badass as Apache Dropout and Open Sex, and my new fave girl group (the sometimes masked Tsunamis, who do  a tribute to the dancing skills of my editor Jake on this compilation…or dare I say “mix tape”) what are ya gonna do? Damn you Magnetic South, why do you have to be so magnetic!

No comments:

Post a Comment