Thursday, September 24, 2020

Tony Bennett & Diana Krall "Love is Here to Stay"

(Verve, 2018) I got this CD as a bundle with Ravinia tickets, where Tony played with his daughter supporting him, and TBH I just threw it to side til later, assuming it was an album he did with Antonia Bennett. I apparently didn't even look at the cover when I eventually put it on. I was impressed by the easy cool and perfect phrasing of Tony's offspring,, but then I started getting a little weirded out during the first song when, at Gershwin's biding, she laments to her dad, "you cant blame me for feeling amorous."  So I picked up the CD and saw it was actually Diana Krall and it all madea lot more sense, though they are still an odd romantic couple. This is a solid album, with each doing one solo flight and the rest being enchanting duets, with Tony generously giving Diana a lot of space to Krall all over the songs. I certainly wouldn't say the nonagenarian crooner was having his youthful amorous-feeler do the heavy lifting, because when I saw the then-mustached Tony in the bundle-spawning concert he was downright feisty. And a few years earlier when he played Milwaukee Summer Fest my stage manager friend saw him take a big fall backstage, split his head open, and bounce right up and keep on grooving. Anyhoo, it's always a pleasure to hear this cool cat and this cool kitten, so put them together and, well,  s'wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment