Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Trojan Calypso Box




 (Sanctuary, 2004) These budget box sets of Trojan's collections of classic Island music were plentiful and inexpensive years ago, and finding the Dub Box, Ska Box, and event the Tighten Up Box seemed easy, but I could never find this one. I really wanted it because I knew it had the Lord Cristo track "Dumb Boy and the Parrot," which I had only heard once on the radio, and I knew it had the same nonsense chorus as David Seville's proto-Chipmunk masterpiece "Witch Doctor" and I wanted to really study this piece of Chips related goofery. I finally just bought an import copy online, and all the Lords and Mightys on this are magnificent, and Cristo especially did not disappoint! Apparently Lord Cristo was in Chicago performing in the 50s, hearing David Seville recordings without the lag time of overseas record travel, and hopefully being parts of stories I may be able to discover. CalypSO GOOD!


No comments:

Post a Comment