Saturday, September 26, 2020

Roy Kinsey "Blackie"

(2018, http://www.roykinsey.com/) I don't listen to enough local hip hop to say what the best Chicago hip hop record from the last few years might be, but I also don't have enough sense to not say that which I have no business saying, so I boldly, unequivocally declare that this is legit the best Chicago rap album of the last few years. Just the actual production, the vocal quality, and the boldness makes it seem good even if you aren't paying close attention. But I'n awestruck by the ambition, intelligence, and odds-defying victorious longshot bets revealed by paying attention to the lyrics with their fascinating narrative and introspection and research and cornucopia of complex concepts relating his family history, the Great Migration, Chicago's racism, the challenges of growing up queer, and the liberating power of rap. Do not be a dummy who does not listen to this masterpiece

No comments:

Post a Comment