Saturday, January 9, 2010

esthema "the hereness and nowness of things" (esthmea.com)


See, the problem I have with trying to write about anything relating to the World Music realm is that I just don't know shit about Middle Eastern music, Balkan beats, or Eastern Euro shenanigans.So if I express any opinion I just come off as a dumbfuck ass talking out his butthole. So here goes. These groovy pieces strike me as the World/Arabic/Ethnic Euro equivalent of detective show jazz, with jaunty, satisfying compositions so dramatic and evocative they seem pretty narrative despite being instrumental. You also have to admire the intercontinental flavor here, combining the traditional music of at least three continents (if you consider jazz America's folk music). I also like to say the word oud.

No comments:

Post a Comment