Thursday, July 29, 2021

Aretha Franklin "Oh Me Oh My: Aretha in Philly, 1972 Live"

(Atlantic/Rhino, 2009, 2021) I guess this was a CD a while back but I'm a vinyl goon so I never considered listening to it, and that's on my dumb ass. This performance at the National Association of TV and Radio Announcers convention, a Black broadcasters organization, is a pristine, flawless performance. The big, fancy band definitely had some ideas (or went along with Franklins') about making these hits almost jarringly uptempo (though always soulful, just speedily so). And obviously in 1972 her voice could not be better. And you really hear that he most on the closing gospel number which is astounding. Obviously, we should all listen to Aretha sing at any opportunity we have so please listen to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment