Saturday, April 10, 2021

Zero Boys "Vicious Circle"

(Nimrod, 1982) I honestly consider this one of the five best albums ever made in any genre. I get so excited whenever I hear it, it just works me up. I am not particularly invested in Pope John Paul II, Reagan, and Lennon being shot, and definitely should not get pumped up thinking about those incidents, but when that chorus kicks in during "Civilization's Dying" I lose my shit every time. People tease me for how often I listen to this. I am flabbergasted that a band could make so many good songs so quickly. This is definitely mostly just a raw, spare, dumb Midwestern hardcore record. But it's also briefly a killer rock record ("Hightime"), an impressive progressive  punk workout ("Down the Drain") and on expanded later issues of the album, a novelty punk party ("Slam and Worm"). Mainly the key here is these guys were good musicians, and Paul's "bad" singing is actually perfect, and the actual recording is super pro.  I could just list almost every song and say it is really good ("Forced Entry"...that is so good! "Amphetamine Addiction" - That is so good!) but that's not very insightful, Suffice to say, this record is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment