Saturday, February 25, 2012

Codeine “When I See the Sun”


(Numero) I can’t say I’m a huge fan of Codeine – I’m too damn busy to listen to anything that slow (same reason I’ve never seen Gone With the Wind – too damn busy to see anything that long). But I will say that listening to the breadth of what this drowsy-core, mopey, experimental band did I can at least say that they definitely earned the deluxe reissue treatment they are getting here – this was a band that seems to have completely succeeded in creating a visceral mood and an original soundscape…it’s just not a mood I want to feel or a soundscape I want to visit. But they do prove one thing: the nasal-voice singing thing is way better suited for sad-rock than for pop punk, emo, or any of the other awful ways it’s been employed.

No comments:

Post a Comment